If you belong to a group that is interested in volunteering on a regular basis, please see our information on becoming a CPS Partner.
If you are an individual interested in volunteering, the best option is to contact the school directly. You can identify schools in your neighborhood by typing your zip code into the CPS School Directory. You can also volunteer through one of the third-party organizations or system-wide programs featured in our Directory of Volunteer Opportunities. Please contact those organizations or programs directly.
One organization that works with individual and corporate volunteers is Working in the Schools (WITS), which promotes literacy and the love of reading among Chicago’s youth by providing one-on-one tutoring. WITS involves community members, area businesses and government agencies who volunteer to support the literacy education and development of children in the Chicago Public Schools. Learn more about how you can get involved at www.witschicago.org.
The Volunteering Process
All individuals who volunteer on a regular basis must complete a Volunteer Registration Packet (also available in Spanish).
- Download and complete the volunteer packet. This form is necessary ONLY if you plan on doing ongoing work in a school. Individuals who have been invited to a school for a one-day event do not have to complete the packet.
- Submit the originals of each form to the school or department with which you will be volunteering.
- CPS completes a background check. If any issues arise from the check, the applicant must undergo fingerprinting.
- If the background check and/or fingerprint check results come back clear, the school principal or department may choose whether to authorize the volunteer.
- If the principal or department head approves, the applicant may begin volunteering.
For any questions on volunteer policies, please consult the Chicago Public Schools Volunteer Policy.
Volunteer Information: (773) 553-1544
Status of Fingerprints/Background Checks: (773) 553-6667